Horninghold Le, Horniwale in the Domesday Book, Horninvald in the Charter Rolls 1106, Horningewald in the Pipe Rolls of 1163.
The village of Horninghold lies seven miles north-east of Market Harborough in the county of Leicestershire.
The village is over a thousand years old and following the Norman Conquest in 1066 the village was given to Robert de Todeni, Lord of Belvoir. In about 1076 he gave the parish to the priory of Belvoir where it remained until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th Century. At the beginning of the 20th Century the Hardcastle family remodeled the village into what is acknowledged today as the 'Prettiest village in Leicestershire'.
The church of St Peter's was built in the 12th Century and is in constant need of repair and ongoing restoration.
Horninghold village community have created the SPIRE project to raise funds for the restoration of St Peter's Church.
SPIRE is a member of the Amazon.co.uk Associates Programme. By clicking the link below, SPIRE will receive a percentage of the purchases made during your visit to Amazon. These funds will go towards meeting our church restoration goals.